Being someone who works in PR, I can raise my glass of wine to someone who works as much, if not more, than me. So, when I look for a partner, I look for someone who can keep up with my work style. However, what happens when you find a special someone and they value their job over everything else, including you?
- You need to accept they will always work. I kid you not. Be prepared for Christmas Eve, your birthday and any other holiday. They do this not to slap in your face, but because they think you will be appreciative of all the hard work they do to provide for you. If you can’t accept that, don’t date them.
- You will get ignored. If an email pops up on their phone or they get a work text – anything and everything you say will be ignored and you will have to repeat yourself again.
- You will be chosen second. If something comes up with work and you’re on a date chances are they are going to focus more on what’s going on in their work surrounding than what is happening in your conversation. If you go on a trip, chances are they will check their work phone or email at least 5 times a day.
- Sometimes they’ll get confused on why you get angry for the fact they aren’t spending enough time with you. No matter how many different ways you put, they will never get it.
- Your work drama may never be theirs too. I was pulled into a meeting where I was yelled at by my boss and a VP at the same time and when everyone’s responses were OMG what happened are you ok?! There’s will be that’s weird what did you do that they yelled at you for?
- 99% of the time they’ll have you pick out your own presents for birthdays, anniversaries and other various holidays. It’s not because they don’t care – they just have too many other things to focus on.
Now am I saying guys who focus all their time to careers are bad? No. I’m just providing insight into their different and interesting life so you know what you’re getting at if you decide to date one.