There are few things more fun than a quick weekend trip to check out a new city, especially if you have people to visit and spend time with.
When I was in college I had an internship in Raleigh, but since I was still living at Elon I drove in and out three days a week, which meant that I had little time to explore the city around me. My boyfriend, however, went to college in Raleigh and lived there for two years after school so when he pitched a weekend trip to show me the city and visit friends I was fast to jump on the bandwagon.
So, if you have a have a fast few days in Raleigh and want to catch the highlights, here are my recommendations:
- North Carolina Museum of Art: I am going to leave this right here as the only thing, because if you see one thing while you are in Raleigh let it be the NCMA. The outdoor trails are amazing, so make sure you don’t miss them. Stop along the way to take in all of the pieces of art scattered around the property and then walk through the woods to the Capitol Area Greenway.
- Grand Asia Market: Looking for a tasty treat or a thai tea? This is your place. Definitely try the buns, I recommend the red bean and the custard. Delicious doesn’t even come close – plus there’s a whole grocery store to explore!
- Monuts Donuts: Okay, this is in Durham, but this place is 100% worth the extra drive. Pro tip, ask the waiters what their favorite donut of the moment is – and don’t avoid the kale bowl. You can thank me later.
- Raleigh Beer Garden: Take a seat on the patio and order some pizza and beer, it’s a must. With more than 300 beers on tap you won’t run out of options any time soon.
- Clouds Brewing: If funky breweries are your thing this is for you. Clouds brewing has a wall of taps and glasses that you can take control of. Grab a glass, tap your wrist band on the display and pour yourself a beer, or two, or three…
Headed to Raleigh and need some additional tips? Shoot me a note! LaurenHarbury@twentysomethingliving.com.