“Together forever, never apart. Maybe in distance but never in heart.”
These are the words shared between my ultimate BFF back home and I. Having a best friend is one of the best things in the world. They’re the person over at your house every single day, the person you share tons of inside jokes with, and the person you trust with all your dirty little secrets. You share a special connection with this individual, they just simply ‘get you.’
Best friends are the people you laugh endlessly with, cry uncontrollably with, sing with, dance with, go on adventures with, create memories with, etc. It sounds like all fun and games until one of you decides to go away. In our situation, I decided to move to Phoenix, Arizona- which is about 500 miles always from the place I call home. Although it is not far, it is now harder for her to pick up and leave especially considering the fact that she is now a wife and mother. Who knew that my with moving so many things would change? There is definitely one thing that has and will always remain the same, our bond.
Here is what I’ve come to learn about having a long distance friendship:
- Your friendship grows stronger. It’s understandable, you both lead busy lives and you can literally go days, weeks, months without talking. The great part is nothing changes. You end up picking up right where you left off.
- You can still read each other’s mind. Even as time passes you reunite and come to find you still know exactly what your BFF is thinking when we both see that girl who is not wearing a bra out in public.
- You still hate the same people they hate, and they still hate the people you hate. BFF rules: if they hate a certain person you are required to hate them too.
- You can never stay mad at them. You literally need them. If you’re mad at them you have no one to gossip with, shop with, go to the gym with, or skip class with (when you’re in town of course).
- You have no one to go on pointless late night drives with. They were your go to, pick you up in 5, see you in 10 ride or die. Now you have to wait days, weeks, or months to see their pretty little face.
- You always have something to look forward to. Even though you have to wait however long it may be until you see them again, you know it can’t be long because your family is back home and so are they.
- You reminisce on the good ol’ days. You can still literally sit there for hours talking about pointless drama that happened years ago. You look back at old photos and begin to wonder what your thought process was like when you were younger.
- You laugh about the old times. Remember that one time you got drunk and… need I say more.
- You constantly check your social media to see what they’re up to. Even though you physically cannot be there with them, you want to make sure you stay updated in all things their life consists of.
- You comment on practically all of their posts. You literally comment on every single post you see. “That’s my best friend” or “I miss you”, or “let me get yo number”, the list goes on…
- They will always be happy for you. Any news is good news to them. Especially the news of you finding a new beau, landing a new job, or acing a class they knew you were struggling with.
- They make you a better person. No matter what happens at the end of the day, your best friend is always there to tell you how amazingly wonderful you are. Whether it is done in person or via text, your BFF knows your worth and will always remind you of it, especially when you seem to have forgotten it yourself.