In the age of the Twenty-something, sometimes it’s hard to find and cultivate a relationship between work, social life and the new trend of all the singles ladies. So if you are a lucky one to get into a blossoming new relationship, what are ways to maintain it?
- Don’t play games. Playing games not only takes up time and energy, but also can lead you to getting upset at little things. My best piece of advice is to have a sit down conversation and call for no games.
- Try new things with each other. Now I’m not saying if you’re terrified of heights to go skydiving. I mean if you’re new SO likes some kind of ice-cream or a certain restaurant then make sure you give it a try!
- Give meaningful compliments. You don’t have to say you look beautiful after your SO wakes up and has drool all over their face, but if you can tell they put time and effort into their outfit for your date night or really tried to cook that chicken dish, tell them.
- Learn about each other. Having knowledge about what your new SO likes can help in so many ways. Ask them about their family, friends, favorite food and anything else you could wonder about. Actually take the time to get to know then.
- Hold in your jealously, unless it’s warranted. LADIES. Do NOT act like a crazy lady if some waitress hits on your man. That should be compliment to you. However, if some girl is trying to blow your guy up to do stuff constantly, that should be a red flag and warrants a conversation.
- Pick your battles wisely. A few months into a relationship you should not be fighting about absurd things. I once watched a first date go completely south when the guy got pissed that he didn’t get cilantro on his tacos and somehow that was his date’s fault. Don’t be that guy.
- Spend time with each others friends. One way I knew that my current boyfriend was a good choice was from watching him interact with my friends. You need someone who can mesh well with your friends, especially if you plan to integrate them together a lot.
Does this help? Do you have any other tips for how to navigate a new relationship? I’d love to hear them!