First dates can be awkward, exciting, and occasionally (possibly more than occasionally) straight up horrible! For starters, you may have met the person on a form of social media (ahem, Tinder), or they may be a friend of a friend. The point is…you don’t know much about the individual, which is why we go through this process called a “first date” in the first place.
There are so many thoughts that come with going on a first date, such as:
- What do I wear that makes me look great but comes across as effortless?
- How can I appear really mysterious?
- How many jokes is too many jokes?
- How many drinks is too many drinks?
- Heels? Flats? Casual? Dressy? Subtle Lipstick?
- How do I stay cool, act sexy, and seem intelligent.
- I wonder if he’s all about that PDA life.
- I have to remember to ask questions.
- Don’t mention anything from his social media sites…you’ll come off as a stalker.
- Shave my legs, or not to shave my legs?
So as we try to get our minds to settle before a first date… here is what NOT to do:
- Don’t Go On and On About Yourself- Sure, your date wants to learn more about you but don’t go giving it all away on this date.
- Don’t Drink Too Much- You may feel like you’re funnier, more charming, and a bit more relaxed, but pace yourself, it will pay off.
- Don’t Be Glued to Your Phone- Generally you should leave your phone in your bag… You’re on a date, you will not be needing it. Besides you want to give the guy your undivided attention and should expect him to do the same.
- Don’t Talk About Past Relationships- Huge no-no! If your last boyfriend is all you can talk about on your date you are definitely not ready to begin dating. If that is the case, it’s totally fine, just take some time to yourself. Otherwise, jump right in.
- Don’t Sell Yourself Short- You know what you’re worth. If the chemistry’s right, sparks may fly and you may be tempted to make that first date a sleepover… DON’T! Get to know the dude a little bit better before hitting the sack with him. Just saying.
Here’s my best ‘girl to girl advice’… Be yourself, don’t try to be something you’re not. Be honest, be genuine, and listen to what he has to say. First dates can lead to great beginnings, you will never know unless you put yourself out there in the dating scene!