Can I interest anyone in an open-faced sandwich? These are great to make ahead of time, or on the spot, and take to the pool or have friends over for lunch. The ingredients shown here are what I keep in my fridge constantly but are easily substituted. Saying open-faced sandwich is really just a way to show off your filling and cut your bread intake in half 😉 . Eat these with your hands or with a knife and fork, it doesn’t matter, you’ll gobble them down in seconds.
- chicken tenderloins (or protein of choice, I like lean meats like poultry, you can also use portobello mushroom for a “meaty” effect)
- favorite bread (I chose fresh baked onion rolls)
- veggies (pictured here; onion, tomato, avocado) This ensures healthy fats and fiber.
- Balsamic drizzle
- salt and pepper to taste
- I used a cast iron skillet to bake my zucchini
- I baked my tenderloins on 375 for about 30 minutes
- I grilled my bread in some olive oil for charcoal flavor
- I then layered fresh veggies and drizzled with Balsamic glaze