We have all seen the movie, Monster In-Law. Yes, the one where our girl J-Lo has to deal with a crazy mother in-law who continues to demise her marriage because her man’s mom doesn’t think she’s good enough for her son.
While this focuses on a couple who is getting married, monster in-laws do exist even when you’re dating someone. So how do you deal with them?
- Don’t let the negative stuff they say get to you. I know that’s hard, but your man wouldn’t be with you if he truthfully believed in everything his mom thought about you.
- Try to get to know her. While this might be painful, if you learn about her hobbies or her favorite place to visit you will have things to talk to her about that will not make you seem like a threat to her.
- Band together! If your man has another brother, chances are that his girlfriend, fiancé or wife who may be getting the same treatment as you. It will also give you a friend for the awkward family outings.
- Be sure that if there is something wildly inappropriate said to you, you loop your man in. Now, do I mean go run and tell him everything? Nope. I mean if there is something said about your family or your character – that could impact your relationship and that is not cool.
- Always volunteer to help when you’re with her. No one can say something negative about people who attempt to help. Even if she says no, you still put in the effort.
While I can’t fix your monster in-law problems, I hope these tips help you the next time you’re feeling uncomfortable.