Dating. The well known “sport” of the twenty-somethings. You meet someone, you go a date and then you go from there. But what really happens before a first date? Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce you to “dating anxiety”.
Dating anxiety is something every single twenty-something faces when it comes to a first date. [I know the guys reading this are like NO, NOT ME. False. You are in this too.] It starts to occur 24 hours prior to your set date. You finally get the guy (or girl) you have been eyeing to think going out with you is a great idea. You’re so excited, you start telling your friends and then BOOM out of no where it hits you like a wrecking ball.
The millions of questions start to fill your head and it becomes all you can concentrate on. For example, you may find yourself asking the following questions or making the following statements:
- “BUT WHAT WILL I WEAR?!”
- “5 bucks says I’m going to get a cancelation from them. Maybe I should cancel before they can. MAYBE I’ll make up a work excuse.”
- “Do I wear any make up? Is this too much make up? Do I look like a clown that escaped from the circus?”
- “They won’t kiss me. But what if they do?! Do I bring mints? Should I chew gum?”
- “How many glasses of wine am I allowed to have at dinner?”
- “Hey [insert your best friend or roommates name here] can you pretend you’re having a problem that I absolutely need to come handle if it goes south?”
- “WHO DID I LET BORROW THAT ROMPER?! That’s it. I can’t pick out an outfit from my huge walk in closet. I’m not going.”
- “Should I pregame? Is that frowned upon?”
- “Wait. What if I develop real life feelings towards this person? Then what?! What if I like them, but they never want to speak to me again?”
Though your thoughts may very, I think this pretty much sums up the thoughts that swirl through your head when you develop dating anxiety.
There is no key to dating anxiety, nor can I give you any advice on how to block it out. I guess I will leave you with that this is something that happens to every twenty-something prior to a first date, so you aren’t alone.
Have you experienced dating anxiety? Have any funny thoughts you’d like to share? I’d love to hear them!