Seeing your best friend after a lengthy absence has got to be the most soul soothing experience on planet earth – at least that’s where I’m casting my vote. After the dramatic running into each others arms while squealing and doing a dance of joy there is just so much to be ecstatic about. All of the re-hasing everything that has been going on in your lives, all of the snuggling, all of the nomming, all of the drinking, basically living your best life each and every second. Being reunited with your best friend is sometimes the only cure to a broken heart, or a worn out heart, or a frankly just tired heart/mind/body/life.
It’s your person – they have to put up with all of your nonsense. Okay, they don’t HAVE to, but they do – and you love them for it.
So, what happens when you are back together?
- The Shriek. The scream/shriek/scream of joy you let out every time you see them, regardless of how long it has been since you were last together. What can you say? You’re just excited to see them and there’s nothing that can express it quite like making noise.
- Word-Vomit. It just comes spewing out of your mouth when it’s time to catch up. The hi-this-is-everything-that-has-happened-since-I-last-saw-you story that doesn’t even involve coming up for air between breaths because you are just SO desperate to get everything out so you can talk about it in more detail.
- Latching On. It goes something like this “I’M NEVER LETTING YOU OUT OF MY SIGHT AGAIN!” *hug* *hug* *obnoxiously long hug*
- Bliss. It just feels so good to be around your best friend. The world is turning. The sun is shining. The birds are chirping. Everything is right in the world. Everything is exactly as it should be. Life is complete, your heart is whole.
- Going Out. Oh yes it’s ladies night, oh what a night. Put on your LBD (or in my case ripped jeans and a t-shirt) and hit the town. It’s time to get rowdy. Or possible just hit a brewery and try out the local beer. Or look for some gentlemen to buy you drinks.
- Egging each other on. What? You only bought one bottle of champagne?! How is that possible, we definitely need at least two – one for each of us. Okay, fine, how about four… and a bottle of wine.
- Netflix Marathon. It’s Netflix and chill best friend style. There’s popcorn, there’s wine – what more could you need? Between binge watching SVU and talking about everything and nothing there’s no better way to spend a day.
- Questionable Decisions. Should we get a tattoo? Shouldn’t we? I think we should… you don’t think so…? Okay, fine, we can sleep on it – but I’m not giving up.
- Not Making Sense To Anyone. Yes, we have our own language and it involves 75% eye contact, 20% eyebrow movement, 3% words, and 2% gestures. No, you will not understand. Yes, we absolutely know what we are talking about.
- Tearful Goodbye. NOOOO, this is the absolute worst. Especically when it’s a long distance friendship. Why is this necessary? *vehemently swears to relocate to the same city*